The Innermost Thoughts of Pupcake

The contemplations of a trophy wife. I study, I knit, I watch sports, I have a cat. I could post about any or all of these things... and more.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

Friday, October 19, 2007

Skewed Priorities

Thanks to my education as a librarian, I have been pretty good at prioritizing. I prioritize job duties, how I spend my leisure hours, what needs to be done for the wedding.... But every once in a while, I need a little reminder of what is really important. And I just received one of those reminders.

I have a dear friend, I will call him "Gary," who will be at my wedding next weekend. We have been friends for twelve years, even though it has been almost as long since we last lived in the same state. I am very excited to see him again, even though I know I will not be able to spend as much time with him as I would like to.

I was supposed to call Gary last weekend, but I got caught up in wedding stuff, and I did not make the phone call. We agreed that I would try calling him again on Wednesday, but when I did, he did not answer, nor did he call me back. Yesterday, no word of explanation. Today I e-mailed him, and he responded, saying that he is having somewhat of a life crisis.

Now it is nothing life-threatening, but it is soul-threatening. And I understand what he is going through - I have felt the same way at various stages of my life. Basically, Gary is unhappy with his current life, and he does not know what to do to change that. But he wants to change it, and that is definitely a good sign.

So here I sit, shedding tears for my dear friend, because he is one of those people whose happiness is very important to me. And I do not say that lightly. But what have I been worrying about lately? Not Gary, but a basket for the wedding programs! I am ashamed to think how much I have gotten caught up in this whole wedding, so much so that I have ignored the warning signs of a friend in need.

Gary (you know who you are), I am so sorry that I have not been there for you this year. I know it is after the High Holidays, but maybe it is not too late to repent. I love you. Please forgive me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home