Career Crisis
I know I haven't finished writing about the house hunt, but something else has been going on in my life lately. As everyone knows, I found a job with a library technology company before my fiance was ready to move. So I'm down here on my own for about one month, when it's announced that our Chief Executive Officer, Chief Marketing Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Information Officer were all "stepping down." (Read between the lines of that sentence.)
Then there was a round of lay-offs and reorganization. Due to the reorg, our team of nine was cut to six. We were also not allowed to hire two more people, despite the fact that we had already interviewed good candidates for those positions. Next our team leader left to pursue "the job she went to library school to get."
Last week our project manager left for a bigger job in a bigger city - she was the one who had given birth to our product. Today our acting manager/technical guru announced that he would be leaving the beginning of August. He is also pursuing "the job he went to library school to get." We were also forced to layoff some of our contractors.
All of this has kept me reeling and stressed out for the past five-plus months, as you can imagine. To top it off, one of my friends has just moved back "home" to take "the job he went to library school to get." (Congratulations, Ryan!) Which makes me ask myself: what job did I go to library school to get? I don't have an answer. I went to library school because I didn't know what else to do.
So here I am, turning 30, with no dreams, no vision of the future, no career path. I know how I got to this point in my life, but I'm not sure what to do about it. How do I figure out what my dream job is? Is there such a thing for everyone? Or should I just look at it as a job, and put my energy and heart into my hobbies?
Any opinions out there?
Then there was a round of lay-offs and reorganization. Due to the reorg, our team of nine was cut to six. We were also not allowed to hire two more people, despite the fact that we had already interviewed good candidates for those positions. Next our team leader left to pursue "the job she went to library school to get."
Last week our project manager left for a bigger job in a bigger city - she was the one who had given birth to our product. Today our acting manager/technical guru announced that he would be leaving the beginning of August. He is also pursuing "the job he went to library school to get." We were also forced to layoff some of our contractors.
All of this has kept me reeling and stressed out for the past five-plus months, as you can imagine. To top it off, one of my friends has just moved back "home" to take "the job he went to library school to get." (Congratulations, Ryan!) Which makes me ask myself: what job did I go to library school to get? I don't have an answer. I went to library school because I didn't know what else to do.
So here I am, turning 30, with no dreams, no vision of the future, no career path. I know how I got to this point in my life, but I'm not sure what to do about it. How do I figure out what my dream job is? Is there such a thing for everyone? Or should I just look at it as a job, and put my energy and heart into my hobbies?
Any opinions out there?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home