Don't Have a Wedding
I know I haven't written anything in a while, so I doubt any of my friends will even see this. I had funny things to write about, like house-hunting last weekend. But this post will instead be about how horrible weddings are.
For those of you out there who aren't married yet, my one word of advice is this: ELOPE!!! I have had a miserable time with almost all of the wedding planning. If it wasn't for my fiance and parents insisting that "all of our friends and family be there for our special day," we would have been in Vegas months ago. I am extremely stressed and very depressed... and I'm not trying to rhyme.
My father's one sister and her daughter decided to throw a baby shower for my cousin's wife on the same day as my bridal shower. This has forced part of the family to choose sides, and other members don't get any choice at all. They had several flimsy excuses, all of which don't hold water. But I'm supposed to take the high road and invite them to the wedding anyway.
Then there is my gown. I ordered it at the end of November and was given a four-month timetable for delivery. At the end of March when I called, I was told that there was a backup at the factory, and I would have to wait, at most, another eight weeks. It's been six weeks, and I still don't have a dress. Only two more weeks, and then I get to scream and yell at the bridal salon.
This entire process has turned into a nightmare. And remember that "all of our friends and family" thing? Well, even that won't happen. Both of my grandfathers died since the last weddings took place. So I'll be the first grandchild on both sides of my family to get married without them. One of my cousins is moving from Japan to Canada and doesn't think he'll have his new visa status straightened out in time to attend. Another cousin may be changing jobs and moving. If neither of them come, I doubt their brother will show up. And then there are my two cousins in South Carolina, who are workaholics and have attended only one family wedding besides each other's.
I'm exhausted, but I can't sleep, because my mind keeps racing. I'm hating every minute of the wedding planning, because I keep hitting roadblocks. I want to be married, but I am dreading the wedding. I hope none of you ever have to go through this.
For those of you out there who aren't married yet, my one word of advice is this: ELOPE!!! I have had a miserable time with almost all of the wedding planning. If it wasn't for my fiance and parents insisting that "all of our friends and family be there for our special day," we would have been in Vegas months ago. I am extremely stressed and very depressed... and I'm not trying to rhyme.
My father's one sister and her daughter decided to throw a baby shower for my cousin's wife on the same day as my bridal shower. This has forced part of the family to choose sides, and other members don't get any choice at all. They had several flimsy excuses, all of which don't hold water. But I'm supposed to take the high road and invite them to the wedding anyway.
Then there is my gown. I ordered it at the end of November and was given a four-month timetable for delivery. At the end of March when I called, I was told that there was a backup at the factory, and I would have to wait, at most, another eight weeks. It's been six weeks, and I still don't have a dress. Only two more weeks, and then I get to scream and yell at the bridal salon.
This entire process has turned into a nightmare. And remember that "all of our friends and family" thing? Well, even that won't happen. Both of my grandfathers died since the last weddings took place. So I'll be the first grandchild on both sides of my family to get married without them. One of my cousins is moving from Japan to Canada and doesn't think he'll have his new visa status straightened out in time to attend. Another cousin may be changing jobs and moving. If neither of them come, I doubt their brother will show up. And then there are my two cousins in South Carolina, who are workaholics and have attended only one family wedding besides each other's.
I'm exhausted, but I can't sleep, because my mind keeps racing. I'm hating every minute of the wedding planning, because I keep hitting roadblocks. I want to be married, but I am dreading the wedding. I hope none of you ever have to go through this.


1 Comments:
It'll be ok, honey. It will all work out fine. The day will be beautiful and wonderful. Eventually you'll be able to look back on it all and just shrug. Well, shrug while you cringe, but shrug nonetheless. Besides, how can it not work out well when you have the greatest maid-of-honor ever?!? lol Seriously though, we are all here for you (even if I have to drag the others along by their hair). And just remember: Jon in a kilt with an ass's head! Heehaw
Post a Comment
<< Home