The Innermost Thoughts of Pupcake

The contemplations of a trophy wife. I study, I knit, I watch sports, I have a cat. I could post about any or all of these things... and more.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

Friday, January 05, 2007

New York Subway Hero

In case you live in a cave and haven't heard about this, here is a link to a news article about the New York Subway Hero:

http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=175499

What Mr. Autrey did was incredible. He risked his life for a complete stranger. As a result, he received a medal from the Big Apple's mayor, $10,000 from Donald Trump, an all-expenses paid trip to Disney World for his family, and the gratitude of an entire nation. He absolutely deserves all of this, because the world needs more people like him in it.

Now, I don't want to take away any accolades from Mr. Autrey. But I can't help feeling hurt that my actions and the actions of my co-worker, Herman, went un-rewarded and almost completely unnoticed this summer. We didn't jump in front of a moving train to save the life of someone we didn't know. But, due to our quick thinking, we did extinguish a firebomb that threatened our workplace and dozens of people in it.

The firebombing received national and even international attention. But in none of the newspaper articles and on none of the television reports were we identified, which was a deliberate step taken by our university administration. The president of our university not only did not thank us, either in person or in writing, but she accused her employees of over-reacting when we expressed our concerns with the lack of security. Neither Herman nor I ever received any expression of gratitude from the university's board of trustees or from The Associated, the area's Jewish federation of which we are a member agency.

I know that my time here is short, and I should not let things like this get to me. But I think, if someone does something heroic, she should be rewarded for her actions. Just like the New York Subway Hero, God bless him.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but honey, no one said life was fair. I read the story before you ever mentioned it. Why did he get recognition? 1: Because it didn't have anything to do with a bomb. . .something that people are tired of hearing about. 2: It was NY and, let's face it, they practically conrol the media. 3: It was an unusual story. which harkens back to #1 about bombs.

Fair? No. Does he deserve some hooplah? Yes. But you both so deserve credit for what you did as well. So, I say God bless you as you asked blessings for the NY hero.

Sun Jan 07, 12:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home