Back from 'Bama
I flew down to Huntsville Sunday evening without incident. The airline announced that our plane was late arriving to Washington, but we arrived in Huntsville on time anyway. The flight was packed (I think there was one empty seat), but it was all business travelers. I was in the last row, across from the lavatory and unable to recline my seat. Thankfully my fiance loaned his noise canceling headphones to me, so I could concentrate on my reading.
The shuttle driver was very nice -- in fact, everyone I talked to down there was quite friendly. Ah, one of the things I love about the Deep South! I arrived at the hotel, called Maggie (person setting up interview), and waited for her and Erin to arrive. Erin was not going to be at work on Monday, but she wanted to meet me. We had dessert in one of the hotel's restaurants, then I went back to my room to watch the end of the football game. That was when I realized -- I forgot to pack my pajamas! I was so concerned that I would forget something for my interview (suit, nylons, etc.) that I totally forgot my pajamas. Duh!
Got up Monday morning and had breakfast at the hotel. After changing into my suit and packing my suitcase, I checked out of the hotel. However, the travel agent who had made my reservation forgot to confirm with the hotel that the company was paying for it, so they tried to charge my credit card! After showing them my itinerary and talking to someone on the phone, they took the charge off of my card and put it on the company account. It was not the hotel's fault -- it was the travel agent who had not followed up on her end. But it was resolved, and I was ready to go when the shuttle driver arrived.
The company's headquarters are downtown in three old buildings joined together by modern interior remodeling. Maggie introduced me to the two people they already hired (they are hiring five total) and the senior people who were already in place. Then she took me to meet Melisa, the HR Specialist. She was not in her office, but the Chief Marketing Officer walked by, and I was introduced to him. He happened to mention another employee by name... a name I recognized from graduate school. Turns out a professor in my library school now works for this company! I found him at the end of the day, and he remembered me after I reminded him that I had been another professor's grad assistant. (After all, it had been over five years since I graduated!)
Absolutely everyone I talked to was nice, and they all seemed to be enthusiastic about working for this company. They asked intelligent questions and listened to my responses. The project on which I would be working is done in a team environment, and it is clear that everyone on the team gets along well with each other, professionally and personally. I think this interview was as much about them checking out my personality as it was about learning my credentials.
Here is the downside: Two of the five positions have already been filled (one from within the company, both from within Huntsville). It sounds like this whole week is slated with interviews, so that is five people vying for three jobs. I hope that what I told them and how I presented myself is enough to get in there, because I think I could be happy on that team.
Traveling back was also uneventful. Left on time, larger plane, half full, all business travelers, arrived on time. It was very late before I got back to my apartment -- nearly 11 o'clock! They said they hope to make a decision by next week, so now we will wait and see....
The shuttle driver was very nice -- in fact, everyone I talked to down there was quite friendly. Ah, one of the things I love about the Deep South! I arrived at the hotel, called Maggie (person setting up interview), and waited for her and Erin to arrive. Erin was not going to be at work on Monday, but she wanted to meet me. We had dessert in one of the hotel's restaurants, then I went back to my room to watch the end of the football game. That was when I realized -- I forgot to pack my pajamas! I was so concerned that I would forget something for my interview (suit, nylons, etc.) that I totally forgot my pajamas. Duh!
Got up Monday morning and had breakfast at the hotel. After changing into my suit and packing my suitcase, I checked out of the hotel. However, the travel agent who had made my reservation forgot to confirm with the hotel that the company was paying for it, so they tried to charge my credit card! After showing them my itinerary and talking to someone on the phone, they took the charge off of my card and put it on the company account. It was not the hotel's fault -- it was the travel agent who had not followed up on her end. But it was resolved, and I was ready to go when the shuttle driver arrived.
The company's headquarters are downtown in three old buildings joined together by modern interior remodeling. Maggie introduced me to the two people they already hired (they are hiring five total) and the senior people who were already in place. Then she took me to meet Melisa, the HR Specialist. She was not in her office, but the Chief Marketing Officer walked by, and I was introduced to him. He happened to mention another employee by name... a name I recognized from graduate school. Turns out a professor in my library school now works for this company! I found him at the end of the day, and he remembered me after I reminded him that I had been another professor's grad assistant. (After all, it had been over five years since I graduated!)
Absolutely everyone I talked to was nice, and they all seemed to be enthusiastic about working for this company. They asked intelligent questions and listened to my responses. The project on which I would be working is done in a team environment, and it is clear that everyone on the team gets along well with each other, professionally and personally. I think this interview was as much about them checking out my personality as it was about learning my credentials.
Here is the downside: Two of the five positions have already been filled (one from within the company, both from within Huntsville). It sounds like this whole week is slated with interviews, so that is five people vying for three jobs. I hope that what I told them and how I presented myself is enough to get in there, because I think I could be happy on that team.
Traveling back was also uneventful. Left on time, larger plane, half full, all business travelers, arrived on time. It was very late before I got back to my apartment -- nearly 11 o'clock! They said they hope to make a decision by next week, so now we will wait and see....


1 Comments:
Well?!? Have you heard anything? You are more than qualified! And so deserve the job.
Post a Comment
<< Home