The Innermost Thoughts of Pupcake

The contemplations of a trophy wife. I study, I knit, I watch sports, I have a cat. I could post about any or all of these things... and more.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Why Last Week Was a Mess

On Saturday, September 30, my cousin got married in Pennsylvania. The entire family, except for one cousin's three stepsons, came to the event. It was the first time we had all been together in about 17 years. The nutty photographer had us all gather for a family portrait -- there were 25 of us in it!

Sunday my fiance and I had lunch with the family at my grandparents' house, then we headed back to my apartment. I unpacked and re-packed, then we drove to Virginia in our two separate cars. Why was I going to Virginia on a Sunday night? Because I had three days of security things to do for my potential new job. I checked into a hotel (so I wouldn't have to deal with commuting very far), and Dale went home.

Monday was Yom Kippur, but I wasn't observing the most important day of the Jewish year. I was checking in at 6:30 am for orientation. *grumble grumble* Eventually I had a medical exam, then we were transported to a different location for lunch. I had my first polygraph exam that afternoon, which was a horrible experience. I failed it and was told that I had to return Tuesday afternoon for another attempt. I already knew that my mental health exam was scheduled for Tuesday at 7:30 am, which didn't make my mood any better.

I was so upset by the whole thing that, when I returned to my hotel room around 5:30 pm, I put on my pajamas and crawled into bed. A few minutes later, Dale called and asked me where I was. I told him I was in bed, that I was miserable, and I didn't feel like driving to his apartment. He said he would be right over. I thought he was worried about me. Nope. He came to tell me that my grandfather was dead.

That's right -- my dad's dad, who we just saw on Sunday in seemingly good health and spirits, had died on Monday. My mom had called my fiance, because she couldn't reach me, and asked him to tell me. This was now the worst day of my life. And let's not forget what else happened on Monday, October 2, 2006 -- ten Amish girls were shot in their schoolhouse, five of whom died. All I could think about was how eerily similar this was to my other grandfather's death. He died on a Sunday, the day before I started a new job and was moving... to Virginia!

Because it was after 6:30 pm by now, I had no way of getting a hold of anyone at my new job. So I called my current job and told them that my grandfather had died and I wouldn't be at work the next day. (I had planned on calling in sick, but now I could take bereavement leave.) I woke up and went to my mental health exam on Tuesday morning. When I checked in, I told them what had happened. I was allowed to do the mental health exam, but when that was finished, I was informed that my second polygraph and my office visit (scheduled for Wednesday) were being postponed indefinitely. Eventually I spoke to my program officer, and she said that she would call me in the beginning of November to reschedule. She also said I should check out of my hotel room, because I wouldn't get reimbursed a second time. Also, in order to make things a little easier, they would schedule the polygraph and the office visit for the same day.

I called my current boss and took the rest of the week off. I had five days of bereavement leave allotted to me, but I only took four. I checked out of the hotel and went to stay with my fiance Tuesday night. On Wednesday I drove back to my apartment, and spent the day with my cat. Thursday my mother drove down to me, and we went bridal gown shopping. The first time was a disaster, but this time was much better. The assistant manager was very helpful, and there were two dresses that I liked. I still don't think I've found "The One," but maybe that's just a myth anyway. Friday I cleaned, and Dale drove up in the evening. Saturday was the funeral, which we drove up to Pennsylvania for in the morning, and returned to Maryland at night.

Is it any wonder I'm behind in my reading for my class?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home