Cost of Computers
Today our COO sent out a flyer about a special discount on home computers for our employees. First of all, the discount runs from July 6 to 27, and we just found out about it today! Secondly, while it's nice to get an additional discount, it's only 8%. When you take into consideration that sales tax in Maryland is 5%....
But I've wanted a laptop for a few years now, so I looked at what was available through this offer. And you can get nice machines at what, I guess, is a good price. Besides, the PC I have now is 7 years old... that's right, SEVEN! Mine doesn't even have a CD burner, let alone a DVD-RW drive. And there are no convenient USB ports (if any at all -- I haven't checked).
So I don't know what to do. I could wait to buy a laptop, but then it will be more expensive. Or I could buy it now with my credit card and just go into credit card debt for a few months. I have other expenses to worry about: my car needs a few hundred dollars worth of work, my cat has to visit the vet, I'm moving in less than a year, and I'm getting married in Fall 2007. Do I really need a new computer? Considering I'm working on a second Master's degree -- yes, it would be helpful. But do I NEED it?
I'm going to open up my comments to everyone now, not just fellow Bloggers. So, my dear friends and family, cast your vote! But remember: the offer ends July 27. In fact, I won't be at work that day, so add your two cents by 9 am on Wednesday, July 26.
But I've wanted a laptop for a few years now, so I looked at what was available through this offer. And you can get nice machines at what, I guess, is a good price. Besides, the PC I have now is 7 years old... that's right, SEVEN! Mine doesn't even have a CD burner, let alone a DVD-RW drive. And there are no convenient USB ports (if any at all -- I haven't checked).
So I don't know what to do. I could wait to buy a laptop, but then it will be more expensive. Or I could buy it now with my credit card and just go into credit card debt for a few months. I have other expenses to worry about: my car needs a few hundred dollars worth of work, my cat has to visit the vet, I'm moving in less than a year, and I'm getting married in Fall 2007. Do I really need a new computer? Considering I'm working on a second Master's degree -- yes, it would be helpful. But do I NEED it?
I'm going to open up my comments to everyone now, not just fellow Bloggers. So, my dear friends and family, cast your vote! But remember: the offer ends July 27. In fact, I won't be at work that day, so add your two cents by 9 am on Wednesday, July 26.


2 Comments:
strangely enough i just wrote you about computers before reading this. if you`re a student/faculty you can always get discounts at apple.com. and its probably about the same amount, 10%. and it comes with a free ipod nano, i think.
If you can still get your hands on them, take a look at the Sunday ads to see if this is really a *deal*. The "discounts" on PCs that we can get through the office are actually more expensive than some regular prices at stores, say nothing about weekly ad pricing. Also, sometimes stores will do six or twelve month no-interest deals on purchases like laptops, if you get their in-store cards. You can always cancel the card after you pay off the laptop.
Post a Comment
<< Home