Getting in Touch with My Inner Geek
This weekend I went to a sci-fi convention. This was my fourth time attending, but my first time registering. Previously my friends had just snuck me in, giving me the badges of people who weren't able to be there. I participated this time by helping a friend with her Masquerade entry. It took up my entire day on Saturday, from stopping for donuts at 9 am to the end of the awards around 11 pm.
When the night was finally over, I said to my boyfriend, "Please get me away from all of these freaks and geeks!" I had had my fill with people in sci-fi costumes talking to me as if I should know who they're supposed to be. I don't like sci-fi, and I don't understand the obsession. I love to knit -- you could say I'm obsessed with knitting -- but I don't dress up like a sheep! So many of the people there have no social skills and do not dress for their body types. I reached a certain point where I just felt overwhelmed and had to get out of there.
Let me now be quite clear: I love my friends. They are, collectively, the nicest people I know. Rick and Cindy just welcomed their first child into the world, and I think they will be absolutely wonderful parents. The others who I won't name individually (you know who you are!) are kind, sweet, caring, funny, and very intelligent. My boyfriend is also one of the geeks -- we met at my third sci-fi con.
My BF and I talked about it afterwards and decided: I would attend with him in the future, but only to hang out with our friends. I won't participate again, because it was just too much for me. When they're all at sessions or rehearsing, I'll just hide in our hotel room. I feel "safer" venturing into the con when I'm surrounded by my friends and BF.
When the night was finally over, I said to my boyfriend, "Please get me away from all of these freaks and geeks!" I had had my fill with people in sci-fi costumes talking to me as if I should know who they're supposed to be. I don't like sci-fi, and I don't understand the obsession. I love to knit -- you could say I'm obsessed with knitting -- but I don't dress up like a sheep! So many of the people there have no social skills and do not dress for their body types. I reached a certain point where I just felt overwhelmed and had to get out of there.
Let me now be quite clear: I love my friends. They are, collectively, the nicest people I know. Rick and Cindy just welcomed their first child into the world, and I think they will be absolutely wonderful parents. The others who I won't name individually (you know who you are!) are kind, sweet, caring, funny, and very intelligent. My boyfriend is also one of the geeks -- we met at my third sci-fi con.
My BF and I talked about it afterwards and decided: I would attend with him in the future, but only to hang out with our friends. I won't participate again, because it was just too much for me. When they're all at sessions or rehearsing, I'll just hide in our hotel room. I feel "safer" venturing into the con when I'm surrounded by my friends and BF.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home